WHAT IS ANGER MANAGEMENT?
We all experience varying levels of anger in our lives, ranging from mild annoyance to intense rage. There are many different causes of anger, and the expression of anger also varies widely from person to person.
However, many people find themselves unable to effectively manage their anger. Without the proper tools and strategies, unmitigated anger can impact virtually every aspect of your life.
Anger management is a specialized form of counseling designed to pinpoint the root causes of anger issues and provide personalized treatment plans to better control destructive anger.
COMMON SIGNS YOU MAY BENEFIT FROM ANGER MANAGEMENT
Anger is a normal (and healthy) human emotion. However, in some cases, anger can become uncontrollable and cause significant problems at work and home. The effects of unpredictable bursts of anger can affect your personal relationships and your quality of life.
Individuals that can benefit from anger management may have been told they simply have a “short fuse” or a “hot temper.” But in reality, deep-seated anger issues can be caused by trauma, a need for better management strategies, or even undiagnosed psychological conditions.
If your anger is connected to feelings of rage, anxiety, or significant stress, you may be dealing with anger issues supported by anger management treatment. Often, anger issues are associated with one or more of the following symptoms:
- Anger that results in verbal or physical aggression
- Feeling a level of anger that does not match the situation
- Being confused about the source of your anger
- Unpredictable mood changes
- Feeling resentful or hostile towards your loved ones, even in neutral situations
Anger issues can manifest in a variety of ways, such as:
- Chronic anger: A near-constant state of anger that impacts your thoughts and emotions
- Aggressive anger: Angry outbursts that often involve dominance or intimidation, often having adverse effects on personal relationships
- Passive anger: Repressed feelings of anger (often difficult to pinpoint) that can lead to indirect acts of hostility such as self-sabotage or sarcasm
DIAGNOSIS AND ANGER MANAGEMENT TREATMENT
Diagnosing anger management is a process that typically involves a discussion of the patient’s feelings of anger, as well as how those feelings manifest and how their life is impacted. Potential causes of the anger will be assessed, including evaluating undiagnosed psychological conditions if deemed necessary.
Elevate Psychiatry can help you gain control of your anger issues with treatment methods that may include:
Treatment of related psychological conditions, including medications if needed